Should I buy it, lease it, rent it or just take a cab?
Ensuring true value from IT isn’t always a straight forward set of decisions.
Like needing transportation, the IT market of today has many ways for you to get from Point A to Point B.
With today’s rapidly changing technology how should a company best leverage IT?
- Is IT core to your business? Are parts core and others not so much?
- Is it a core competency? Does it need to be?
- Does IT drive true differentiation? Is it a competitive advantage?
- Does IT impact your time to market / time to value?
- Will IT’s impact on your company increase or decrease in the future?
- Is your current approach working? Is it scalable?
These are all good questions an organization should consider when developing and / or updating its IT Strategy.
For you and your company to have ‘control’ of your technology investment and IT strategy, that doesn’t necessarily mean ownership of the asset is your only option.
- What is the right balance for your organization? Now and in the future.
- What is the best way to ‘source’ it?
- Do you really need perfection (re service, product) or will good enough do?
You have more options than ever before. Picking the right path is very important and may not be obvious.
o Software-as-a-Service (SaaS)
o Platform-as-a-Services (PaaS)
o Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)
o Various hosting and service providers
o Large providers, offering a broad scope of services
o Small niche, best-of-breed providers.
- What combination is right for you?
- How do you ensure a vendor agnostic - product / service evaluation happens? Buying a brand new, fully loaded Dodge Caravan by 5:00 pm today….. may not be the only option, even if the sales person is trying to convince you it is.
I know that if I had a deep and strong pain in my chest for 2 hours straight, I wouldn’t necessarily just hope it would pass and / or call an ex-partner’s Mother for advice. I would seek counsel and aid from a doctor.
I’m not suggesting that all of your IT decisions are life or death, but they are often very important.
Important, not only for the health of your organization today, but to help ensure a long and prosperous life for your company.
So, in closing…. We all know lots of stuff, we all have our gifts and are good at many things. But if you are not an IT-expert……
Don’t be afraid to ask for help.